Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I am from South Dakota and am a trucker. I was arrested in

I am from South Dakota and am a trucker. I was arrested in Ontario, California for possesion of a controled substance. Was in jail for 5 days and released. I notified my boss right away that the truck had been impounded. He flew to California and took the truck back to S.D. I'm I responsible for his plan ticket and the fee for truck impound? Also, I am now fired. He has refused to give me my final pay check, can he do that? Am I able to take the items I put on the off-staight pipes, bumper,hub caps ect. Thank you for your time
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

It appears that you would be liable to reimburse your employer his reasonable expenses due to your jail time.Reasonable fees would include his plane ticket and impound fees.However, you would be typically entitled to the items you added to the truck provided they can be removed without damaging the truck
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can he keep my final paycheck to cover this expense. He may have insurance to cover this
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
He cannot keep your final paycheck to cover the expense unless your employment agreements and gives him that option