Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

I caused an accident where I failed to yeild the right of way

I caused an accident where I failed to yeild the right of way causing me to hit another car head on. The woman that I hit had to be airlifted because of a compound fracture to her ankle. My insurance covers only $50,000 of medical bills and the bills are going to be in the hundred thousands. I have no assets in my name. Will her insurance help pick up the tab, or will I be getting a judgement against me, or will my insurance give in to pay what I wasn't coverd for to pay the bills? I'm so stressed out and don't know what to do next.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hi there. I'm sorry for your situation. Her insurance may very well pick up the tab for her bills, but they will then pursue you for whatever they have paid. Your insurance company will not pay in excess of the maximum amount .... they will do only what they are contractually obligated to do. So, ultimately, they will pursue a judgment against you. But, if you have no assets, you can then seek bankruptcy protection which will get this judgment dismissed. Bankruptcy resulting from medical bill judgments are not something to be ashamed of...they happen every day due to our health care system.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.