How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawdoctor Your Own Question
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1400
Experience:  22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Lawdoctor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to divorce my husband after 19 years of marriage.

Resolved Question:

I am going to divorce my husband after 19 years of marriage. He has a girlfriend
He says he owes the IRS $100,000 from his business because he couldn't pay
the taxes. I have my own separate job and have never had anything to do with
his business I am so afraid. I am listed as governing persons on the Secretary
of State Corporations register for license for the business. He has taken me for
a ride , and now that he owes money , he has no solutions. Says he hired someone
to look into it. How do I find out what I can do? I don't make that much money.
I don't have any savings. What do I do , please tell me.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

First, let me give you some reassurance regarding his IRS debt. Here is information from the IRS:

You now have three possible ways to avoid paying taxes that should have been paid by your spouse:
  • Innocent Spouse Rule. This is a new, improved version of the innocent spouse rules that appeared in prior law. If you qualify, you can obtain relief even if you're still married to, and living with, the spouse who failed to report taxes properly. Some of the more arbitrary provisions have been eliminated, but some people will find that they still don't qualify.
  • Separate Liability Election. In addition to the innocent spouse rule, there's a new rule under which you can elect to have separate liability even though you signed a joint return. This form of relief is available only if you're divorced, widowed, or legally separated — or if you live in a separate household from your spouse for at least a year. If you meet that requirement you may be able to avoid liability in situations where the innocent spouse rule doesn't apply.
  • Equitable Relief. There are bound to be situations where it's unfair to collect tax from a spouse who doesn't qualify for either of the first two rules. The new law permits the IRS to provide relief in these cases.

A recent report from the Government Accounting Office indicates the IRS has recently done a better job processing requests for relief than in the past, but it still takes roughly a year, on average, to get a final answer.


One thing is to make sure you no longer sign a joint return. Filing a joint return makes you jointly and severally liable.


One thing you need to think about is whether he is telling the truth about the taxes or if he is trying to scare you into a quick settlement of marital assets so that he can get out cheap. I would strongly encourage you to make sure you utilize discovery to dig into his records to see exactly what his true economic picture is and that he is not hiding assets to cheat you.


Now, on to your divorce. You can file unrepresented, but I would encourage you to hire an attorney to make sure you know what assets are there and what are gone.


Most family lawyers will take a smaller retainer if there is money available from the husband for to pay for your legal fees. Here is a link for Washington Bar Association for a referral:


I would not take his word for anything. Also, being married for 19 years entitles you to a portion of his social security and his pension and or retirement (401K). Along with your portion of the marital assets.


I would encourage you to make sure any joint accounts are cashed out by you as soon as possible if he has not already done so. If he has then get copies of the statements where he cleaned them out and take them with you to visit the attorney or if you decide to represent yourself, file a motion for emergency support and show that he is dissipating assets to starve you out!


Here is a link to the forms for Washington State:


and here is one that is more simple:



I wish you the very best and remember to remain calm and collected. Do not make decisions while you are upset or emotional. Think things through and if you cannot think clearly, wait to respond until you can.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be offline. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.



Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 1400
Experience: 22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation
Lawdoctor and 3 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.