Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

my girlfriends ex-husband is verbally abusive and harrassing

my girlfriends ex-husband is verbally abusive and harrassing on a daily basis. he uses his daughter as the means to harass her to where its making her an emotional cripple. he manipulates and will text over and over and over or email consistently. he makes scenes at the court pick up and even at the childs day care. he has even managed to have the child's councilor willing to testify to his irrational behavior. is there any legal action that can protect her from his daily harassment?
Expert:  Barrister replied 7 years ago.

If he is engaging in this type behavior simply to annoy and disturb your girlfriend she could file criminal and civil charges for harassment.

The Modern Penal Code section 250.4(MPC) defines harassment as a petty misdemeanor if with purpose is to harass another, he: 1) makes a phone call without a legitimate purpose; or 2) insults, taunts or challenges another in a manner likely to provoke violent or disorderly response; or 3) calls at inconvenient hours or in offensive language; or 4) subjects another to offensive touching; or 5) engages in any other course of alarming conduct serving no legitimate purpose of the actor.

.

The texts and emails would likely fall under the telephone calls or the "alarming conduct" provisions.

.

Under the United States Code Title 18 Subsection 1514(c)1. Harassment is defined as "a course of conduct directed at a specific person that causes substantial emotional distress in such a person and serves no legitimate purpose".

.

.

Put simply, anything that people do for no good reason or lawful reason or purpose and they know it distresses you is harassment.

.

She could file a civil harassment suit against him and be awarded monetary damages and injunctive action if she can show proof he is harassing her with his actions. If he was threatening with his communications a criminal complaint would be appropriate. A judge would likely issue a restraining order against him for no communications to be directed towards her.

.

.

I hope you have a better understanding of your question as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.