SavyLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to practice law, I have experience in dealing with a wide variety of legal issues.

What is the maximum amount I can sue for in a defamation of

What is the maximum amount I can sue for in a defamation of character lawsuit?
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for contacting the just answer team.

There is no statutory limit to what you can sue for. Instead, the court is going to look for you to claim reasonable damages based on the circumstances. So, you can allege three types of damages. Compensatory --- meaning quantifiable damages compensating you for losses (such as loss of work etc), Consequential --- damages that resulted as a foreseeable consequence of their behavior, and if the defamation was intentional Punitive --- damages leveled as punishment for the behavior. Again, there is no set maximum that you can sue for, and instead, the goal is to come up with a number that seems reasonable based on the detailed circumstances of the case. If you have not yet retained an attorney to assist you, I would suggest doing so before trying to come up with a damages amount. Attorneys generally will have a better sense of what damages your particular case entails. For a referral to an attorney in your area of Mississippi, contact the Mississippi Bar Association HERE.

I hope this helps, and thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take care