Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

How do I find the track record of a lawyer I want to see if

How do I find the track record of a lawyer? I want to see if Troy L. Bowlin of Morristown, Tn will stand up and fight my sons case.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.

Hi there:

it depends what you mean by "track record"... you are just trying to figure out if he will be a zealous advocate/

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, is there some where I can look to see how many cases he has won or lost and what type of cases they have been

Hi there:

the basic answer is "no". First of all, "win" and "lost" are more subjective than you may realize. I can tell a client that they stand to owe the other side $50,000-$60,000, then we go to court because the other side won't settle for less than $80,000 and the jury finds that they he only owes $30,000, I would call that a big win. I just had a criminal defense case where the client was charged with 5 felonies, and he was acquitted of the 4 most serious and will avoid jail time on the 5th. He was convicted, but I would say that we got a great result considering that he could have gone to prison for 8 years; still, it would show up in the "L" column.

Secondly, in my experience, an attorney who doesn't lose very often never takes any risks. An attorney's job is to make certain that their client's rights are protected; TV has created this unrealistic expectation that you are paying for a certain result when you hire an attorney, but what you are really doing is paying for someone to get you the best result under the circumstances.

Some counties will have their cases posted online and you can search for an attorney to see what type of cases they handle. That is a good way to figure out what type of cases they do.

But if you want to know what an attorney is like, the best that you can do is the following: (1) check with the state bar association for a record of discipline. (2) ask him how many trials and jury trials he has personally seen all the way through to a verdict. (3) ask him for two professional references from other attorneys. Do not accept references from clients or anyone else. If he can find another attorney or two to stick up for him, he probably does fine. If he can't offer a reference, dump him immediately.