Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

We are a small HOA ($24,990 annual budget) in a new planned

We are a small HOA ($24,990 annual budget) in a new planned development. We recently took over the management from an outside firm and now are self managed. We have a cash reserve balance of over $10,000 and would like to transfer some of that balance to our Capital Reserve account, while maintaining a cushion in the operating fund where the cash is held. Can we transfer these funds legally? We are a registered non-profit.
Thank you.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

You can transfer that money legally as long as the account is under the HOA name or its designated operating name and is designated as a non-profit, non-individual account. As long as you do this, you're in the clear :)

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”