Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

i was gonna go with a debt remedy company to resolve some credit

Customer Question

i was gonna go with a debt remedy company to resolve some credit card issue's. they claimed i signed an agreement. since they needed my wife's approval for these card's as well. she didn't want to go with this and wanted us to try to contact the card companies themself. but because debt remedy claimed we signed an agreement, they claim they are keeping over 2800.00 of the 3800.00 that they took out of our account. even though my wife and i never signd a joint agreement. can you help?
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 4 years ago.

I would contact them and inform them if they do not repay the full deposit you will take them to court. You and your wife can file a small claims court case where you live for the amount in dispute. Your defense will be that the services were for both you and your wife and that she decided not to sign and as they never performed any services a full refund is due. The filing of the suit may settle the matter as it is costly for them to send someone to court and in small claims you do not need an attorney.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so your saying i could file a small claims here in michigan?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you still there?

Yes you can since that is where they contacted you. You are contesting the validity of the contract so if it has some other state for adjudicating claims that should not affect your wife. Better to file in Michigan and let them come to try to change the jurisdiction. All these things make it less and less worth their while to keep the money.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just one more thing before i let you go. what can i do to stop them from taking anymore money out of my account on the 9th of dec.?

Notify both them and your bank that no further withdrawals are authoirzed by you. Notify them in writing and contact your back by telephone to make sure the instruction is carried out.

Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience: 30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you for your time. i'm sorry i didn't push accept. it had taken the $38 out of my account. so i thought it was a done deal. thank you for your advice
OK thanks for pushing the button. You do not need to answer this.