JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 11 years in practice as a litigator ... civil and criminal
1969057

My daughter was arrested while on probation. she is now in

My daughter was arrested while on probation. she is now in the orange county jail without bail. She is eligible for drug court and will appear on Jan 8th.
She has a choice of drug court or 6 months in jail. Neither sentence is real clear. I am not sure how to direct her. Can you give me any advice?
Thank you
Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.
Does she have a drug problem?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I believe she is using opiates. She has been clean for 4 weeks now. she is 26 years old with 3 children. She has already been in two rehab programs.

when a bail is not posted I am assuming she can't be released. Another drug program is probably not an option. Although I don't know what drug court is exactly.

Expert:  JD replied 7 years ago.

Drug court is a nationwide program that was established a few years ago for addicts who have tried and failed in other rehab programs. Essentially it is set up to monitor, rehabilitate and provide immediate measured consequences for relapses in addition to providing tools for life building (education, job assistance, etc). The program has met with significant success with some and less with others... that's just the nature of drug abuse.

You should read about drug courts as it sounds like a good option for your daughter.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/programs/collab/drug.htm

The key here is to get her well. Short term rehabs have not worked and though drug court may pose more restrictions than she would prefer, we've seen that previous efforts have failed.

She definitely needs a lawyer to help guide and protect her through this system. If she cannot afford an attorney then contact the local public defender's office.

Please reply if I can help further.

________________________

Remember to click ACCEPT only when you are satisfied with your answers. This is how we get paid for our time with your questions. I would also appreciate any positive feedback you could provide. If you are not satisfied then please reply to me so I can further assist you or find someone else to help. I am not your attorney. Therefore no attorney-client relationship exists and any communications on this website are not subject to the attorney-client privilege. For this reason, please do not divulge any personal information and use this site only for hypothetical questions. This forum is for general questions and answers and I cannot provide you with applicable law or legal opinions or advice in your jurisdiction. Please seek the advice of a competent attorney in your jurisdiction. While I can answer general questions and discuss general legal principles, I cannot give you legal advice in your state. The internet is a great place to get general information but should not be seen as a substitute for the attorney-client relationship or the services of a good lawyer in your state.