Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs

I am a retired 50% corporate busines share holder. No buy out

I am a retired 50% corporate busines share holder. No buy out agreement.I have a will leaving my shares to a daughter that is not involved in the busines.
I am told by the other share holders that the Corporation has power over my will after my demise.

Is that the law?

The corporation would not have power over your will when you pass. You have the absolute right to leave your personal property to any beneficiary you choose. With that said, there might be something in the restrictions of the company issuing the shares that gives a right of first refusal in the event that the shareholder decides that they want to sell their shares. If the remaining shareholders can't agree on a price to purchase the shares for, the selling shareholder can bring a suit for "partition" which is basically a court ordered sale. Partition is an absolute right as a sharholder wanting to "cash out" can't be forced to remain an owner.

I hope you have a better understanding of your question as a result of my comments. I am sorry if the answer is not what you would prefer, but as you know, sometimes the correct answer is good news, other times bad. I hope you have a better understanding of your legal issue as a result of my comments. If the information given in fact answered your question please click the GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. If you need additional clarification on this question, don't hesitate to click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details. If you would like to have me help with further questions, you can request me personally in your question caption.