Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Attorney
Experience:  10 years of legal experience.
15826124

my mom has me on her pennsylvania car insurance but i live

Customer Question

my mom has me on her pennsylvania car insurance but i live in new york i want to switch my insurance to new york but they ask if i have had previous insurance and i dont want my mom to get in trouble if they find out i live in new york because i have been on probation for the last year and a half i cant say i have lived in pa since how can i swiych it wiyhout her getting in trouble
Submitted: 7 years ago via Answerly.
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 7 years ago.
Was the car registered to your mother in PA?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes
Thank you for the information. You may have been an authorized driver under your mother's policy but the car was not your car so you did not have any insurance on the car, your mother has insurance on the car. You will need to register the car in your name and acquire insurance too. It will be treated as if its a new registration and insurance. There is no need to inform anyone that the car was in NY prior to you registering the car.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im asking about the insurance though my name was on her policy bu it shouldnt have been because i have a new york license and i dont live there but she said i did for the insurance so i would be covered but now i want to switch it into my name but when i went to get a quote for insurance they ask u if u are presently insured if i say that i am under my moms can she end up getting in trouble with her insurance if they find out ive been living in new york and i cant say i just moved because ive been on probation for a year and a half so i have to say that i have lived in new york for the last year and a half
Expert:  Lawyer Lori replied 7 years ago.
Since the car is registered in your mother's name, she is technically the owner of the vehicle. As the owner of the vehicle, she is required to have insurance on the car which she did. You were listed on her policy because you had her permission to drive "her car". She did nothing wrong, as she owned the car and you were using it with her permission. The fact that you live out of state does not create a conflict. You have been insured legally under her policy and she should not get in trouble. The insurance company is asking if you are insured, because if not they can increase your rates.

This is not an unusual circumstance. When I was younger, my car registration and insurance was also under my parents' policy because it was cheaper.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

is that true even if she told them i live there she said i have to tell them i live there to have her insurance and i dont i got a speeding ticket in new york recently and my adress is a new york address and im also on probation so even if her insurance found out she lied about me living there she wont get in trouble

Basically, should your mother's insurance company find out that you were on the policy but did not live at that address, they would most likely increase her premiums to reflect your true address. You are permitted to live in another state and even have another state's drivers license and be on her policy so long as she reports your correct address. To put you on her policy she would have had to give them your driver's license. In the event you were in an accident and she had not given them your out-of-state address, they would be within their rights to deny your claim.

Typically in situations such as this, the insurance company will never even find out that you are in New York and this would never be an issue. The NY insurer may check with your mother's insurance company to find out if you are in fact on her policy. Your mother's response if they question her is that you were only planning on being in NY temporarily. Also, with you getting a speeding ticket, it is very likely that they reported that to the insurance company, so your mother's insurance company may already know that you have a NY license.
Lawyer Lori, Attorney
Experience: 10 years of legal experience.