LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

I was served with a notice from the Rock Island County, civil

I was served with a notice from the Rock Island County, civil division with a charge of FTA/civil body but to my knowledge, I was not served with any kind of court notice. I live in NC now and they are asking me to appear personally for service of some kind.It also states that if I don't respond they could persue my driver's license privledges. Should I get an attorney? Again, I have no idea what this charge is for except that I was recently divorced and I have a 16 year old child. I am currently paying child support & alimony but in the divorce decree, I was to make the payments on the home but lost income and could not for about 7 months before the sale. The home has recently sold and I allowed her the proceeds from the home. She took a warrant out on me because I was not abiding strictly by the divorce decree. Her attorney stated that if I paid 7800.00 that the warrant would be lifted. Any suggestions?
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 4 years ago.

Your ex probably tried to serve your last known address, but if you weren't living there, then you were never properly served. Yes, you need an attorney at this point to quash the warrant in IL. You will also need to have the attorney file for a reduction or temporary suspension in your child support if you cannot pay it. What's more, if you gave her the proceeds of the home, this may give you an offset in the child support, thereby reducing or eliminating the $7,800.00 they are claiming you owe. To find an IL family law attorney to help you with this, you may look here: www.martindale.com. I would try to find one in Rock Island County, so they can appear on your behalf.

LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts