Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law

i went and applied for disaster releif food stamps after hurricane

i went and applied for disaster releif food stamp's after hurricane gustav and when i feeled out the form i forgot to put my son's income. i put his social securty mumber and b-day i just honestly for to put his income on the back of the form it was crazy in the line's after hour's of waiting and i just made a mistake.i got a call from a fraud investagator we met and i told her what had happend and she told me at the end of the interview not to worry.but she also she does'nt make the decision's but they were not going to clog the system 700.oo i can't stop worruing i have only had one speeding ticket in my life. should i be worried about fraud charges.
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 years ago.

If you have no prior offenses and nothing on a record, then they may just accept this as an honest mistake, recalculate the benefits and ask you to repay the amount that you were overpaid. If you receive a letter like that, then you should call them immediately and make arrangements to pay back the monies that they are requesting. Obviously, there is not much that you can do about this at the moment and worrying does not help. If you receive a summons to appear in criminal court over the situation, then you are entitled to a court appointed attorney if you cannot afford your own attorney -- so the first time you appear at court you should ask for one to be appointed.

And you need to stick to what you told the investigator -- it was an honest mistake and that everyone (including yourself) is so weary over hurricanes in LA and waiting in lines for benefits that it is not surprising that some people do make mistakes like this.

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time