How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Legalease Your Own Question

Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 15167
Experience:  15 years exp all aspects of general law
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a private student loan with Chase Bank. I have been

Resolved Question:

I have a private student loan with Chase Bank. I have been out of work due to disability and I could not make payments. I asked to do a deferment but they said in order to deferment you would have to make one payment. I did make one payment but they never defered the payments. I just started back to work a couple of weeks ago and they called HR to locate me and started harassing me at work stating if I did not call by today then it was over. I did call today and they asked how much could I pay. I said $150.00 today. The rep said that's all we cannot accept this the minimum would be $600.00. I told her I did not have it. She said well I am sorry your loan will be charged off. What do I do? Can someone help me? Will I be able to get federal student loans because I am going to school in January? Does private student loans stop you from getting federal student loans? Who can help me?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

If they charge the loan off, they will send it out to a collection agency or an attorney for collection. Then the telephone calls will start again. They can also take you to court regarding non-payment of the debt, but sometimes it is better that they do so because the court will usually insist upon a payment plan that you can afford on this, rather than telling you that you must pay this amount or you must pay that amount. Regarding future student loans, this can hurt your chances for them because they will check your credit in processing federal student loans -- although they do not give as much weight to credit reports as private lenders seem to do. If you find yourself in this situation, all you can do is pay Chase (or whoever they send it to ) what you can afford to pay and then let the school know of the circumstances of this loan if it is brought up by the financial aid office of the school you will be attending.




Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any agencies or federal agencies since the government has issued money to these banks or companies to help people with student loans? They have already received a payment is there any way they should honor that? Is there someone that can help me with private student loans? If today is the last day before charging off? Can they still stop charge off if I get the money in a couple of days?
Expert:  Legalease replied 5 years ago.

If you are talking about all of the recent bail out monies that have been given to private lenders, there are no programs in place to help students in debt with these lenders at this time (the major focus has been on preventing foreclosures). However, if you get a federally guaranteed loan in January, you may be able to speak to them about rolling in past due amounts with the new loan to give you one consolidated payment. But, in order to take advantage of any federal consolidation programs all or a portion of the loans that you have must be federally subsidized loans.


You can certainly call them and see if they are willing to stop the charge off if you pay them what they are asking for within the next week or so -- but you want them to agree to some kind of a payment plan with you before you give them any more money -- because if you do not, then they will continue to harass you and will probably charge it off anyway.

Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 15167
Experience: 15 years exp all aspects of general law
Legalease and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.