Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience corporate, litigation, international
18695994

I have ben married for three years. We have no prenuptials

I have ben married for three years. We have no prenuptials and my husband makes twice as much money as I do. He has put about thirty thousand dollars into fixing up my house. Does he have any claim to my house? He lives in southern california and i in northern california, but he said when we met that he would live with me. I've lived alone for three years. He has helped me financially with 2000.00 cash and I spend about 1200.00 a month for food and gas on his American Express. If we divorced would i get anything?
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 7 years ago.

He would have a claim on the house in consideration of the investment he made in it. You might have to repay all or a portion of it to retain the house free and clear. As for alimony, in the absence of children and the short period of the marriage, it would be relatively small in assistance and a split of property acquired during the marriage but not the property that each of you came into the marriage with.

If this answer is responsive to your question, please accept it. That is how we are compensated. I would also be appreciated if you provided feed back on your view of the answer. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Edited by bizlaw on 12/1/2009 at 1:53 AM EST