Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

I have recently discovered that my daughter had been hit and

I have recently discovered that my daughter had been hit and psychologically abused by her stepmother while visiting her dad in europe on vacation. These incidents have happened between 2004 and 2008 with the hitting taking place in summer 06 when my daughter was 7 years old.
Testimonies to this effect as well as my daughter confirming these facts have surfaced further to divorce proceedings between my daughter's father and her stepmother. My daughter now lives in Europe with her father and we both have joint legal custody.
Can I sue the stepmother through US courts although the abuse to my daughter had taken place in europe. At the time my daughter lived with me in the USA.
Thank you
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear USdaughter in Europe - The US courts would have no jurisdiction over the actions of the stepmother that took place in Europe. You would have to sue in the court in the country where the abuse took place.

Dave Kennett