John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

I have a document that has been made part of my divorce agreement

I have a document that has been made part of my divorce agreement by reference because my ex-spouse did not want it to be part of the public record. It is a document which has been signed, notarized, and placed in a sealed envelope with our signatures over the seal.

He has agreed to share the information with his new fiance because it concerns the raising of our daughter.

Are there any legal consequences to opening the document and breaking that seal? For instance, will it make it not enforcible in court?
Expert:  John Legal replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for asking Just Answer:

No there is nothing that breaking the seal will do to effect the validity of the document. I suspect the signatures over the seal were to assure that both of you know if the document is opened by the other party. The fact that you will have the original, notarized, document will be sufficient proof to the court should you need to enforce the document.

Please click Accept so that I receive credit for my response.