Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I wrote in the lease that my tenant was allowed one dog and

Customer Question

I wrote in the lease that my tenant was allowed one dog and no other pets. And of course, she has also been keeping a long-haired cat which is not allowed. I have a severe cat allergy, and the house wreaks of ammonia. I gave her one week to cure and now she has given notice to vacate in 30 days. In addition to the deposit, she did put down a small non-refundable deposit for the carpets. What can I do as far as the deposit goes for additional cleaning and damages?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

If the deposit is a security deposit, you have a right to use the money to make any repairs above normal wear and tear. Landlords have much discretion when it comes to using a security deposit.

Also, if you have a lease for a set term, you're entitled to collect rent until you re-lease the space to another tenant.