Steinlaw
Steinlaw, Attorney
Experience:  8+ years as an insurance adjuster, 7+ years as a personal injury and consumer law attorney
12106879

So, my girlfriend of six years had given me $8,740 to pay for

Customer Question

So, my girlfriend of six years had given me $8,740 to pay for a car that I bought, and then I ended up losing my job, so I have been unable to pay her back for a year now. During that time, she was paying for my rent, and food expenses, which I had never agreed to pay her back in any way. She's now trying to get me to sign a loan agreement saying that I owe her $16,000+ dollars for interest on the money for the car, and the rent/food. I have told her that I will not pay for the rent/food, but would pay her back for the car, and that I'm not signing any agreements, because we had only made a verbal agreement that I would pay her back for the car. We have broken up since, and she lives in Maryland and I've moved back home to Oregon. What are the odds of her winning the case if she tries to sue me for $16,000?
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Was there ever a written agreement about anything?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There was never any written agreement about anything at all.
Expert:  Steinlaw replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your question and I look forward to assisting you. Please keep in mind that I can only respond to your post and the information contained in it, as I do not know what you know unless you have put all of the information in your question. Also, due to site reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so I apologize in advance if it means more interactions between us. Also, there may be future facts that are as yet undetermined in your matter, that can and must leave some areas of information provided by me broad in nature. However, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if needed! At times, there can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break. That being said...

I saw a case like this today in small claims court. The plaintiff, her, lost. I do not think she has a very good case and I do not think you have much to worry about.

Good luck.

Legal Disclaimer. By requesting this information, you expressly agree to the following: The information given is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. The nominal price you may or may not pay for information does not pay for any legal advice. I am neither establishing nor accepting an attorney-client relationship. The only method of gaining an attorney/client relationship with me is via a retainer and signed fee agreement, which is not offered via this site. I am providing only resources, opinion and information for you to be informed and educated about your particular rights and needs. My answer is limited to the facts presented with the understanding that you will do your proper due diligence and appropriate follow up with an attorney licensed in your state. I do not provide general or specific legal advice on this site. I also am licensed to practice only in California, which may not be the state where this information is being provided or state whose law would apply, if any. I strive to provide quality information, but I make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained in or linked herein and its associated sites.