Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts

I have several bills in a debt settlement program 1 of I had

I have several bills in a debt settlement program 1 of I had to go to court all was said if I deny the bill which I said no. I recently moved to Arizona and just found out the one collector placed a garnisment on both my checking and savings, there is only a few hundred in those accounts. I started new accounts at a bank in avondale, az. Question can they come after my accounts here if only my retirement pensions go in or just file bankrupy to get them off my back
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 6 years ago.

Title III of the CCPA is enforced in all 50 states, including the District of Columbia, and all U.S. territories and possessions. This is a law that protects everyone who receives personal earning and incomes, e.g. wages, salaries, commissions, bonuses or earnings from a pension or retirement plan. As such, accounts that only hold your retirement earnings are not subject to garnishment from creditors. That does not mean that they will not try to garnish the account, but if you prove to the judge that it is only comprised of retirement earnings, then it won't be garnished. If you have more questions, I will be happy to answer them. Please accept my answer so I can get credit for helping you. We can continue our conversation at no additional charge. Thanks.