Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

My daughter has once again taken her abuser back. However,

My daughter has once again taken her abuser back. However, a restraining order is in effect until May, 2010. My daughter states: "Nothing will happen to him if we are caught." Can he break the restaining order because she took him back before May? I told her that he will be arrested if they are caught. Which I am hoping for.

DearCustomer- I certainly appreciate your dilemma however, assuming your daughter is an adult there's only so much you can do. First of all you cannot force the police to act in any criminal situation let alone a domestic one. If your daughter is really stupid enough to want this guy then she will have to deal with the consequences however if there are children involved you should contact child services and report the situation.

I am a parent and grandparent and I know how frustrating it can be when our kids can't see the forest for the trees but at some point you just have to let them deal with these things. You really have no legal standing to enter the case and it has been my experience that the cops will not interfere if the victim wants to let the abuser back into their life.

There is just too much other crime that needs their attention. All you can do is monitor the situation and hopefully your daughter will come to her senses however the restraining order will become useless at some point.

Dave Kennett