Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

My boyfriends daughter snuck his cell phone and wrote down

Customer Question

My boyfriends daughter snuck his cell phone and wrote down our txt messages to each other. Some were pretty sexually graphic and some were about her rude and bad behavior. She went home and typed them out and gave them to her mother - his EX-wife. The EX then proceeded to show this to her friends and in-laws. This has led to a number of people knowing the personal content and has caused me to get fired from my job at the girls school. When her father asked the child (who is 15) why she did it, she replied, "For revenge." Her mother has found great pleasure in spreading this around. She is vindictive and I feel manipulated the whole invasion of privacy./ She is now trying to use it against him to revoke his visitaion rights. What are the laws of invasion of privacy and/or intrusion and what, if anything, can be done about this character slander?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
The issue is whether or not she acquired the information through non-illegal means and she did, since she didn't put the daughter up to getting it or doing it. Now, the next issue is a suit for invasion of privacy and the common law tort of false light, which would hold that she is publishing this with malice to portray you in a false light in the community, even if it is true (since the truth is a defense to slander). You do need to get an attorney and also seek an injunction stopping her from publishing it any further.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What, if anything, can be done to the daughter that copied and printed out the txt messages illegally "for revenge" and then displayed it to her vengful mother?
You can name her in the suit against the mom as one of the parties to the invasion of privacy.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
age has no bearing on the suit at all?
Yes, as a minor her guardian is liable for any damages, if her mother is the custodial guardian, she would end up liable.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question (or three). :) Will I need witnesses to justify the slander? How hard is this to prove and/or to get monetary damages paid? How seriously does the court take invasion of privacy and slander or is it just gonna be a big joke - on me in the end?
If what she is releasing is the truth, it is not slander, all you really have is invasion of privacy and the common law tort of false light which is an offshoot of invasion of privacy. Monetary damages you have in loss of your job from the release. You will need some witnesses to testify she relesed the information and from the way it was released the court would infer malice since it cost you your job.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much for your advice.
Thank you.