MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

Hi my name is Anna and I received a one year contract to work

Customer Question

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I received a one year contract to work for Pfizer and I started working for one week pending my background check and drug test. I was unable to return to Pfizer due to the fact that DeVry university did not get back to truescreen, which is the background check company. They left numorous messages and faxed over a letter to them. I also emailed and left messages for them to get back to me or contact truescreen. All they needed was verification from them that I attended school there and graduated. Now I am without a job and truescreen is still trying to contact DeVry and still no one has gotten back to them. What can I do to take action on DeVry? Do I have a case against them?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the post, yes you would have a claim against DeVry for negligence if DeVry did not act within a reasonable time to confirm your attendance. A reasonable time would be determined by the specfic circumstances, but in any event would be 30 days or less.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well pfizer said that if DeVry does not respond by this Friday which is December 4 I will be withdrawn from the position.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.

ok, how much time did DeVry have to respond?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It has been 2 weeks, this week would be the 3rd week to respond. They contacted DeVry on the 16th of November and Friday Dec 4 is the last day to respond. Also, Pfizer really needs someone to fill this position. My agency had asked Pfizer to hold off on getting someone, that is why they are giving DeVry until Friday of this week to respond.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
ok, if DeVry does not respond by the deadline, you would have a claim against them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, I shouldn't take any action until Friday if they don't respond. If they don't respond how should I persue this?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.

You can send DeVry a certified letter explaining the seriousness of the mater to compel them to act by Friday. But if they do not, your next recourse would be contacting an attorney to file suit against DeVry for negligence.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, what type of lawyer would I look for?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
A general plaintif's attorney would be able to handle this type of claim.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How much would I be able to sue for?
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
How much was the job paying?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The job was paying 18 an hour.
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
A couple thousand dollars.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I wouldn't be able to sue them for the full year of contract I had with Pfizer?

Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
no, you would not. You can likely find another job in a year's time. The point is to compensate you for the loss.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ok would I be able to let them pay for the lawyer fees?

Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
Yes.