SavyLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed to practice law, I have experience in dealing with a wide variety of legal issues.

if your judge says you owe restitution can they go and take

if your judge says you owe restitution can they go and take your savings account?
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for contacting the just answer team.

It is not quite as simple as that, but eventually, yes, a judgement creditor could have a lien placed on your savings account and sieze monies inside. Now that the judge has ordered restitution, the other party will receive a judgement from the judge. This is basically a piece of paper saying they are owed the money. If they demand the money, and you fail to pay, the then will go back to the court seeking enforcement of the judgement. At the judge's discretion, a lien can be placed on a number of different assets, including wages and yes, a savings account. This process usually takes time, and most judgement creditors are willing to negotiate payments to avoid having to take the time and expend resources to have the judgement enforced, but it is possible were you not to pay, yes.

I hope this answers your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask by clicking "reply". Otherwise, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take care
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much time does that take then?
Likely months, depending on the schedule of the court. They first have to give you an opportunity to pay of your own accord. Generally this takes months.