How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Richard Your Own Question

Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 50094
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My college age son has signed a lease with two other people

Customer Question

My college age son has signed a lease with two other people for next school year prior to leaving on thanksgiving break. They all three signed but were told they would need to get a parent to sign a grantee clause. Also no security money was to be paid until they came back from break as well.

My question to you is can my son get out of this lease for next year if I refuse to sign the

The two he signed a lease with are not a good match and I would like to get him out of the lease.

When we went to talk with the apartment complex today the manger could not tell him if he could get out of the lease they would get back with him tomorrow. Again the security money has not been paid it was to have been paid on Thursday.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening...If the lease is contingent upon you guaranteeing your son's obligation and you refuse to do so, and he has not yet posted the security deposit, then he can get out of the lease with no further liability. Even if you had signed, he would still have no liability most likely because the landlord has a duty to mitigate by trying to release the premises...and because it is near a university and a year in advance, the likelihood that the landlord cannot relet this place is pretty much non-existent.



I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 50094
Experience: Attorney with 29 years of experience.
Richard and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No where in the lease does it say a parent must guarantee the lease but he was given the paper to take home and have signed as well as told they could pay the security deposit as well when they returned. I felt since three bedroom apartments are very rare they would have to mitigate the rental as well but they have verb age in there to cover that. I feel they should have been able to tell him strait up today when we went to the office and told them his parent would not guarantee the lease they would have told him he could get out of lease. His living with these two other students is not in his best interest since issues surfaced after the signing about bedroom sizes who pays what friends that could and could not be at the apartment etc.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne since they require that a tenants parent gurantee the lease and I'm not willing he can get out.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that he can get out of the lease for 3 reasons...1) no security deposit paid, 2) no guarantee by parent, 3) duty to mitigate by releasing, 4) your son is judgment proof anyway. I would not worry about it at all.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.