Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

live in tampa florida ..rented a apt for a yr, didnt renew

live in tampa florida ..rented a apt for a yr, didn't renew lease, moved out as usual @ the end of thelease, get a letter 4 weeks later saying I owe them 2 months rent for not notifiying them i wasnt renewing the lease , is that legal..?
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

Good evening. Unfortunately, your landlord is correct. Under Florida law, when either the landlord or the tenant desire to terminate an annual lease, the terminating party is required to provide notice not less than 60 days prior to the end of the annual period. I know this seems harsh, but it is designed to benefit both the landlord and tenant by allowing each party notice so they can act accordingly.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a 1 yr lease ..? isnt my option to re-new a yrly lease..? without a pentalty
Expert:  Richard replied 7 years ago.

When any lease term is coming up, there is a duty to provide notice...some state's require 30 days on an annual lease, others 60 days.....Florida happens to require a 60-day notice before the term ends even if it is a one-year lease. The premise is to provide both sides some certainty. If you look at it from the other side, you wouldn't have wanted to hear nothing from the landlord until the last day of the year only to have the landlord tell you that you have to be out the next day. I wish I could give you better news, but I can only tell you what the law is. Don't shoot the messenger!