Lawdoctor
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience:  22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation
14932443

In Maryland, if a resteraunt adds a manditory gratuity to the

In Maryland, if a resteraunt adds a manditory gratuity to the bill, am I required to pay the tip? Or is it optional?
Expert:  Lawdoctor replied 5 years ago.
DearCustomer

Thank you for allowing me to assist you with your question.

I have long had a problem with the notion that a server is entitled to a mandatory gratuity just because there is a large party. If a party of 8 comes into a restaurant, they will have the same demands of the kitchen and wait staff as two parties of four, perhaps less in some cases. So the mere fact that they are all together does not justify a mandatory gratuity.

I also have a problem with the expectation of a tip for restaurant servers. A gratuity is a symbol of thanks for doing a good job. I have been known to pay as much as 25% for truly exceptional service, I have also been known to leave a single penny for truly awful service.

There are no legal requirements to pay a mandatory tip, however, the establishment can trespass you and tell you not to come back.

I recently owned a restaurant and I found where there are mandatory tips, the services gets sloppy because they don't have to work for it. Isn't that just like any welfare system?

I check with a restaurant before I go if I have a large party to make sure of the house rules.

There are a few instances where it could be enforced, when you use a discount coupon and on the coupon it states that to use the coupon you will be charged a tip of 185, that is enforceable because it creates a contract in that you received the benefit of the discount and the tip is the price for the discount. Also when you cater a party with the restaurant and either book a room, table or the entire facility, then a tip is usually included in the agreement. If you sign the agreement with a tip amount included, and you have the party, then you have to pay the tip. If you don't have a written agreement, it is a verbal contract and still can be enforced in most cases.

Remember that servers are not paid minimum wages because they are expected to make up the difference with tips. The DOL min, for servers is $3.63 per hour. They also have to work hours before and after the restaurant closes for prep and break down. So they need the tips to just meet min. If they do not the employer has to make up the difference.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.
If I don’t’ answer immediately, I may be offline. If so, I will answer as soon as I come back. If I am online, I may be assisting someone else and will respond as soon as I can. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Good luck and Godspeed.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Bonuses are gladly accepted. Thank you and good luck!

Please remember that we have not created an attorney-client relationship, and that my post is not intended to be specific legal advice. The answers given are limited to the information you have provided in your post. For specific legal advice, please consult with an attorney licensed in your state.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the states of Florida and Mississippi. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Edited by Lawdoctor on 11/24/2009 at 2:29 PM EST
Lawdoctor, Lawyer
Experience: 22+ years legal practice including corporate, business, criminal, entertainment and litigation