How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SavyLawyer Your Own Question
SavyLawyer, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4300
Experience:  Licensed to practice law, I have experience in dealing with a wide variety of legal issues.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
SavyLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you counter sue a person that falsely accused me of a felony

Resolved Question:

Can you counter sue a person that falsely accused me of a felony crime and DA's office did not proceed due to no evidence? Basically a subordinate of mine deciding to claim that I rape her when I was never even by her. She cost me $10,000 bail plus attorneys fee's it turns at DA's office dropped it right away.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  SavyLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for contacting the just answer team.

Yes, you can sue her for defamation. Defamation occurs when someone knowingly or negligently "publishes", either verbally or in writing, false or misleading information about you to a third person, and you suffer damages. Based on the information you have provided, each of the elements of defamation are present, and thus you can sue for defamation. If you pursue a suit, I strongly encourage you to seek the assistance of an attorney in your area. For a referral, contact the California State Bar Association HERE.

I hope this helps, and thank you for the opportunity to answer your question. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Otherwise, please remember to click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work.

Take care
SavyLawyer and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you