Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 28 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

What is indecent liberties with a child A friend was just

What is "indecent liberties with a child"? A friend was just arrested for this. Appox, a month ago, my friend was visiting the home of his friends and a 13 year old girl(neighbor) was also visiting. My friend is 23 was taking a prescribed antidepressant and had approx 2 beers. He claims, he was sleeping, woke to the 13 year old kissing him - due to the combo of meds/alcohol he may have returned the kiss but then claims he proceeded to remove himself from the inappropriate situation. Now after all this time he has been arrested and charged with "indecent liberties with a child"? Can you explain what this means? There was another married couple in the home during this time. It seems to be a lot of he said/she said.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

The charge of indecent liberties with a child is a serious offense and is considered a Class F felony. The statutory definition is:

Willfully takes or attempts to take any immoral, improper, or indecent liberties with any child of either sex under the age of 16 years for the purpose of arousing or gratifying sexual desire; or

Willfully commits or attempts to commit any lewd or lascivious act upon or with the body or any part or member of the body of any child of either sex under the age of 16 years.

Generally acts such as kissing, touching, exposing oneself, and even certain words used in conversation can rise to the level of immoral, improper or indecent liberties. Your friend's best defense will probably be the fact that he did not have the requisite intent. Meaning he did not willfully take or attempt these acts, since he did not take the initial action and he was not in a mental state (medication and alcohol) to do so, and he took act of immediately separating himself from the girl. There is no guarantee that this defense will work, but it will probably be his most successful route. Having said that, if he hasn't already done so, he needs to immediately consult with a local criminal law attorney to prepare his defense.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX was in very basic terms which helped me to understand.

What is a class F felony?

Hello again,

In North Carolina a conviction for a Class F felony carries a minimum sentence of 12 months in prison and a maximum sentence of 6 years.
Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience: Licensed Atty, 28 yrs exp in the practice of law.