LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
15277592

I have a mega millions lottery ticket that hit four numbers

I have a mega millions lottery ticket that hit four numbers plus the mega number.I't payout is $11k. The jack pot was $122m. How can a ticket that close be worth so little?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

What was the game date?

What is the conflict that you are referring to?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In section 7 of the rules 2.9% is to be divided anoung the minners at my level. There were 47 of us which should have been $79k each. Further in the same section it states that other state winners would recieve $10k, but Ca. winners would get $11k. That is two set of rules on the same payout.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

Where are you getting these rules from?

CA has always had different payouts on lotto than other states because of the way CA forces payouts to be pari-mutual----which bases payouts on the sales levels in CA.

Where are you getting the 2.9% figure from?

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Game date is Oct 06 09 Official game rules effective as of first sale date of matrix set forth herein anticipated first sale date:june,2005. mega million official game rules.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon,

The payouts are clearly stated in the rules:

7.3.1 Second through Ninth Level Prizes for all Party Lottery states except California:

1. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching five (5) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1, but not matching the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive a Second Prize of $250,000.*
  2. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching four (4) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1 and the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive a Third Prize of $10,000.*
  3. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching four (4) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1, but not matching the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive a Fourth Prize of $150.*
  4. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching three (3) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1 and the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive a Fifth Prize of $150.*
  5. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching two (2) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1 and the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive a Sixth Prize of $10.
  6. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching three (3) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1 but not matching the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive a Seventh Prize of $7.
  7. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching one (1) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1 and the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive an Eighth Prize of $3.
  8. MEGA MILLIONS Panels matching no numbers (0) of the five (5) MEGA MILLIONS Winning Numbers drawn for Field 1 but matching the MEGA MILLIONS Winning Number drawn for Field 2 shall be entitled to receive a Ninth Prize of $2.
  9. Each MEGA MILLIONS Second through Ninth prize shall be paid in one payment.

7.3.2 Second Through Ninth Level Prizes in California:

California shall pay all second through ninth level MEGA MILLIONS prizes for Official MEGA MILLIONS tickets sold in California according to a pari-mutuel distribution of the prize fund aggregated in California for second through ninth prize levels. No other Party Lottery shall bear any expense for second through ninth level prizes for Official MEGA MILLIONS tickets sold in California; nor shall the California Lottery participate in the reconciliation of prize liabilities for the second through ninth prize levels under the MEGA MILLIONS Finance and Operations Procedures.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please look at section 7.1 Prize structure. That is where the prize fund percentages are found.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
I'll opt out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks anyway
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.

Please do not respond to this reply because it will simply send your question back to me once more.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No one can explain the difference between sec.7.1 and sec.7.3 of the Mega Millions official Game rules. There seems to be a conflict in the payouts,with monies dissapearing. For example, on level 3 a 2.9% payout is shown to be divided amoung the winners at that level. But sec.7.3 shows a $10k to each winner except California residents who will recieve $11k payout. The Mega Millions jackpot on that day was $122m..On that day 47 people were on level 3..In Calif. there were 7 winners , to recieve $11k each,while the other 40 winners from other states recieve the $10k. each... 2.9% of $122m. is $3.53m, divided by all 47 winners is $75k each. If the lottery is only paying $10k each,that is just $470k, Where is the missing $2.8m. ??
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.
Good Evening,

I believe that you are talking about this:

Match

Field 1

Match

Field 2

Odds

Prize

Category

% of

Prize Fund

5

1

1:175,711,536.00

Grand

63.60%

5

0

1:3,904,700.80

Second

12.80%

4

1

1:689,064.85

Third

2.90%

4

0

1:15,312.55

Fourth

1.96%

3

1

1:13,781.30

Fifth

2.18%

2

1

1:843.75

Sixth

2.38%

3

0

1:306.25

Seventh

4.58%

1

1

1:140.63

Eighth

4.26%

0

1

1:74.80

Ninth

5.34%

Reserve

0%

Totals

1:39.89

100%

It appears pretty clear to me that these are the maximum payouts per category, as the percentages add up to 100%. That does not mean that the maximum will be paid out every game.

Best regards,

Doug

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where does it state the circumstances underwhich the percentage payout will occur?
Expert:  LawTalk replied 5 years ago.

Good morning,

I have tried to be very patient with you. I know that it's a terrible thing to only win 10 grand when you would prefer 79 grand--but I can't rewrite the rules for you.

You will obviously never be satisfied with any answer that you get until you get your $79,000. Trust me though--it is just not going to happen.

The prizes for each combination of winning ticket are clearly established in paragraph 7.3.1 of the rules.

The PRIZE FUND is the amount of money available to pay prizes in the given category. Available does not mean guaranteed to be paid. The amount of money in the prize fund is based on the amount of money from the gross sales of the tickets. The amount of money in the prize fund, for any given game, is approximately 50% of the gross sales.

Read the following rule very carefully:

2.16 Prize Fund - That portion of MEGA MILLIONS gross sales set aside for the payment of prizes. The Prize Fund for any drawing is expected to be 50% of sales, but may be higher or lower based upon the number of winners at each prize level, as well as the funding required to meet the advertised jackpot.

In answer to your final question, "Where does it state the circumstances under which the percentage payout will occur?", the simple fact is that the rules don't state that answer. Obviously, if there are enough winners in the given category of prize winners, the portion of the prize fund alloted to that category will be used up.

Think about it this way. What if you were the only person in the world that happened to get 4 plus the mega number?? Do you really believe that would then entitle you to collect 3.5 million dollars? Because under given your thinking, that is exactly what you would expect. Better yet, if you were the only person who got no numbers other than the mega number, do you really think that you would win 5.34% of the total Prize Fund for that game, or in your case $6,514,800.00---seriously--for getting just 1 number right?

Look, the prize fund is simply a fund from which prizes are paid. Nowhere in the rules does it say that the prize fund will be completely depleted each game.

I'm happy for you that you won 10 grand. That's great. But that is all you won.

Best regards,

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney
Experience: I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX than satisfied me. Your logic is sound. Thank you again.