Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  29 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

How do I write an effective request for a Congressional Inquiry

Customer Question

How do I write an effective request for a Congressional Inquiry (about treatment by Social Security offices in the metroplex?)
Expert:  Ray replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question.you would need to do this though your own local Congressional Representative.Here is information about making such a letter and asking for inquiry and investigation.

The letter is the most popular choice of communication with a legislative or congressional office to ask for investigation and inquiry of Congress . If you decide to write a letter, this list of helpful suggestions will improve the effectiveness of the letter and your request to demand investigation.

1. Your purpose for writing should be stated in the first sentence of the letter. If the letter pertains to a specific piece of legislation, identify it accordingly, e.g., House bill: H.R. _____, Senate Bill: S. _____. (for bill numbers try Thomas The Library of Congress to search with words or phrases or details of a bill number you may know).

2. Be courteous, to the point, and include key information, using examples to support your position. State reasons for your position. Tell how the issue affects you and your community.

3. Address only one issue in each letter; and, if possible, keep the letter to one page.

4. Make sure your letter is timely. Write when legislation is pending in committee.

Addressing Correspondence:

To a Senator: To a Senator:
    The Honorable (full name)
    United States Senate
    Washington, DC 20510

Dear Senator ______(full name)_________:

To a Representative:

The Honorable (full name)
    United States House of Representatives
    Washington, DC 20515

Dear Representative ______(full name)_________:

Note: When writing to the Chief of Staff of a Committee or the Speaker of the House, it is proper to address them as:

Dear Mr. Chairman or Madam Chairwoman: or Dear Mr. Speaker or Madam Speaker:

Note: If you know the exact address of the Member, use his or her building and room number in place of the general address: United States Senate, or United States House of Representatives. This information can often be obtained through searches at:

Detailed Address Examples

The Honorable Barbara Boxer
112 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510

The Honorable Maxine Waters
2344 Rayburn HOB
Washington, DCNNN-NN-NNNN

Sending E-Mail to Congress

Many members of Congress have an e-mail address that ends in house.gov or senate.gov. Members whose addresses are listed as legislators.com, use a web based mail system known as "Write Your Rep." You will find addresses at these locations: house.gov senate.gov legislators.com

The body of your message should use the following format:

Your Name
    Address
    City, ST, ZIP

Dear (title)(last name),

Start your message here.

Your Signature

Your Name
    Your Address
    Your Phone Number