MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

Hi, I am a recently former recipient of Time Warner Cable home

Customer Question

Hi, I am a recently former recipient of Time Warner Cable home service in Racine, WI. My service was rudely interrupted after 6 months of service, twice within an approximate 2 week period. The company gave me several unwarranted excuses for the disconnection, even though they had no noted payments due, zero balance. Upon calling to inquire, TWC stated I needed to call a named collection agency, number given to me at that time. Prior to calling the agency, I informed the TWC service representative that I had already gone through and completed such a process upon my initial request for service. I requested to speak to a supervisor, who informed me TWC had a new security service she called "Link," which she stated linked my phone number to my daughter, who had obtained service legally some time prior to me. TWC refuses to service me, ultimately, stating I am responsible for this bill. I feel this is unprofessional, untrue, and unfair. Please help!
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.

was your daughter obtaining cable illegally in your home?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, as a matter of fact, I had spoken to Patricia, (in a rather argumentive fashion) Patricia, a representative through a New Star, afiliated with TWC, who stated I never told her my daughter was of legal age when she showed the service representative her ID and signed the appropriate forms at the time her service was connected. She then told me I would not be allowed to obtain service at my home address until the bill was satisfied. When I asked to speak to her superior, she told me, "no I will have to have him call you back." I have not heard back thus far.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
can you clarify, "who stated I never told her my daughter was of legal age when she showed the service representative her ID and signed the appropriate forms at the time her service was connected?" Is it the case that your daughter was under age when she obtained cable in your home?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I meant Patricia stated to me that I never mentioned to her, that my daughter was of legal age when obtained cable. She was of legal age. This is when Patricia, representative for New Star, told me I would still have to pay the bill since it was incured at my residence. I responded with the question, "Oh, you mean to tell me that I can't have service here at my residence, but if I were to move, I could then obtain service?" Her response then was yes, you would be able to obtain service at another address as long as you live there.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
I see, and your question is whether this is a legal practice?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Definety, and if not, I would like to pursue damages if appropriate.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
unfortunately this is a completely legal practice. TWC can place restrictions on whom it does business with for any reason it likes unless such reasons are discriminatory based on race, gender, etc. Here, they would have a rational basis for not accepting your account: the residence at which you want to establish service has apparently been involved in fraud in the past. This is an industry wide practice, other carries such as DirecTV do the exact same thing.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I'm just not understanding how this would be classifide as fraud. I would never have had a problem if the issue had been addressed with me in a more tactful, and professional manner. Mayby by now, after all the phony excuses they used for disconnecting me, the bill would have been paid without squams. I feel TWC and it's afiliate should have been up front and honest in the first place, instead of weaseling their way out. Not a large amount due, but now, they may never get paid. At least I won't be paying it now, after all, it is not my bill.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.

how old was your daughter when she established cable in the home?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

She was 19 at the time service was obtained

Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
ok, so she was not a child and you are correct in that you are not bound by her independent contract. However, legally by permitting the cable to be placed in your home, you are legally responsible. The property is yours, and actions involving in the property necessarily involve you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thank u graciously for your time and expert opions
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to click Accept.