MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

Ive lived in Southern California, month-to-month, in a roominghouse

I've lived in Southern California, month-to-month, in a roominghouse since 1990. Recently, I've been harassed by a fellow tenant, who makes noise at night to keep me awake. What are my rights as a tenant? And how would you suggest I approace my landlord?
Thanks,
Steve [email protected]
Expert:  MShore replied 7 years ago.
As a tenant you have the right to the quiet enjoyment of your leased space. The best way to handle this with the landlord is via a written request for the landlord to resolve the noise issue. This way you have a paper trail establishing your putting the landlord on notice should you need to break the lease, or call the police and in response to their inquiry of what have you done thus far you can tell them that you tried to resolve this "in house" but the landlord failed to take action (which is why they were called).