Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I live in a different school district as my husband and our

I live in a different school district as my husband and our 2 kids stay with me, we live with my mother the last 5 years. every year some one sends in a letter telling the school I do not live with my mother and I have to bring in my bank statements, paystubbs, tax card etc. I just had to do it again and now they want me to have my husband and I write a letter saying we are separated and what our verbal living arrangments are and have it notorized! Do I have to do this. I feel my marital status in non of ther business.

Thank you for your help
Thanks for your question.Well they have the right to set residency rules.The problem is that you ae living with the grandparents and they have to ask because people are often trying to enroll children who ren't residents.They can ask because there are location boundaries for the school district and you have to show you live within those.

Truthfully there is no legal problem with stating you are separated.I mean people do that after a bad weekend and get back together the next.If you want them to stay in this school you will have to provide the information.I'm sorry but this really is the easiest and cheapest way to get them off your back.

Edited by RayAnswers on 11/1/2009 at 1:52 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What do you mean I have to send my husband next year. I am not understanding that part?
Sorry I edited this.I misunderstood that part when I read it the first time.It sort of read like they were all living at your mothers and you weren't .I read it again and corrected my answer.I'm sorry for the confusion here.

Here's my rewrite..

"Thanks for your question.Well they have the right to set residency rules.The problem is that you are living with the grandparents and they have to ask because people are often trying to enroll children who ren't residents.They can ask because there are location boundaries for the school district and you have to show you live within those.

I understand that you think they are being picky but school districts have to be because there have been sports problems with students manipulating the system to seek to enroll in a prticualar school.I also understand that is not your case but they have a right to make you show residency here. And this is considered private information--disclosure here would give you grounds for a lawsuit for invasion fo your privacy.

Edited by RayAnswers on 11/1/2009 at 2:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have already showed residency so do I still need to give them a follow up with the notorized status of my marriage and living arrangement with my husband?

I would do this.I unnderstand that they are being intrusive but somebody--your neighbors or someone is complaining here.So they are just trying to complete their file here and resolve it.They have to deal with it as a public agency.

Edited by RayAnswers on 11/1/2009 at 4:47 PM EST