Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Hi, Im trying to see if I can attempt to obtain spousal support

Hi, I'm trying to see if I can attempt to obtain spousal support when I file. I am 39 earning $50K/year while my husband who I brought to this country, put through med school and sacrificed/supported for 11 out of 14 years of marriage, grosses around $300K. He doesn't have his medical license in TX, only in LA so his apartment is there. We have lived apart for just 3 years. We've been married for 14years. We do not have children. Thank you.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Yes. The rule of thumb is that a spouse is entitled to spousal support for a term equal to half the length of the marriage and in an amount to equalize the income. You may also be entitled to a share of the value of his medical license. You will want to retain local counsel to assist you.