LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.

I paid $6000 to a person as a down payment on kitchen cabinets

I paid $6000 to a person as a down payment on kitchen cabinets the end of June 2009. Today is Novemeber 1 2009 and no work has been done. He keeps saying "probably next week" or "I will let you know". I asked him to refund my money twice and he hasn't. Is this a small claims case? What is a reasonable time frame to get new kitchen cabinets installed?
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 6 years ago.

Small claims court in Florida is for cases that do not exceed $5000. 5 months is more then enough time to order and install the kitchen cabinets. If no work has been performed nor an order placed for the cabinets, the money should be returned. Demand something in writing, with a specific date that the work will begin. If that can not be provided, write a demand letter for the return of your money and if it is not returned, sue them.