Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

Are OSHA guidelines or recommendations on unpaid Employer

Are OSHA guidelines or recommendations on unpaid Employer authorized breaks in unusual (night) shifts binding to employers? Specifically, can an employer legally tell you not to sleep during your unpaid break ? OSHA recommends it.
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your question.Osha suggests that you be allowed to sleep on breaks if you can stack them together.Your employer here can set terms and conditions of employment here.Know this that you are likely employee at will which means they can terminate you for pretty much any reason

.Here is reference to OSHA here.As I stated it just appears to be a suggestion not a regulated requirement.Sorry I wish it were then you would have something you could sustain a complaint about.I think you have to live with work rules here unfortunately if you need the job.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why have OSHA if it is not binding?
Expert:  Ray replied 6 years ago.
They wimp out occasionally and jsut make sugestions.Sleeping is pretty controversial. I wish they woudl put it out as reg.To me I agree with you.I mean it's your time why can't you do anythign you want here.