Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney
Experience:  Active member of the NYS bar since 1989

i have not been pursued for doctor shopping didnt even

Customer Question

i have not been pursued for "doctor shopping" didnt even know what it was , but i visited a few different doctors when it was convinient to me, and a pharmacist called me and YELLED at me and said i was harrrasing that pharmacy?? and that she was gonna call the cops if i dont leave them alone!(i'm so confused) i have no idea what she is talking about? does dr shopping exsist like i have read online. I meant no harm , just needed some severe injuries dealt with, and a couple wisdom teeth this for real?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 6 years ago.
In simple terms "doctor shopping" is when someone goes to muliple physicians and withholds information about having already seen other doctors in order to get prescriptions for controlled substances from each doctor. They can get caught and reported when pharmacists discover that the same person is attempting to fill prescriptions much too often. There are data bases in some states which look to prevent a person from successfully filling them at different pharmacies.

"Doctor shopping" is a crime -- usually a felony drug offense. I cannot say whether it would be so in your situation. Your pharmacy hasn't notified the police and looks like it will not. However, they have done you the courtesy of letting you know that they find your behavior suspicious.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.