Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

What is the statute of limitation for forgery and larceny in

Customer Question

What is the statute of limitation for forgery and larceny in the state of Connecticut?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.

In CT larceny would be considered a class D felony. The limitation of prosecution is 5 years. Fraud/forgery has a limitation of 3 years.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the statute of limitation is 3 or 5 years how could someone be arrested now on a warrant from 2005? Isn't the statue of limitation expired?
No, because warrants do not expire. In addition, since the person was charged, that "tolls" the statute of limitations and effectively stops it. Otherwise someone who is running away from a warrant can sit outside the state or jurisdiction for the specified time, and then come back without fear of prosecution, which would be considered a miscarriage of justice.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So that means that this charge will always hang over a persons head? Does it hold over state lines?
Yes, a warrant always hangs over a person's head. Yes, it also tends to cross over state lines as the police can typically run a check of a person to see if they are wanted somewhere else for a violation of some kind if that person is detained.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does a crime like this involve prison time? Any idea how much and what kind of prison?

A class D felony in Connecticut can have the maximum sentence of 1 to 5 years, and up to $5,000 fine. Since the person ran from the warrant, it is extremely unlikely that the prosecutor would be willing to plea bargain, so the person will most likely be expecting to serve some prison time.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The person didn't run yet, but is considering it since he feels he would not survive prison. This is tearing my family apart. We are desperate and don't feel there are many options here. We have no money for an attorney and I tend to agree that he would not survive prison with his being bipolar, having a gentle nature, and a heavy addiction to chewing tobacco, which I understand is not allowed in prison now. Any advice you can give?
That is very tough position to be in, for all concerned. About the only thing I can suggest is to discuss this with a local attorney and see if he is able to get a plea bargain that only involves probation. To do that, you would have to retain a criminal defense attorney who is knowledgeable in the location where you family member is charged.

As you can imagine, I cannot advise running from the law for a variety of reasons, but I can suggest that you get a consultation with someone local and well known, and see if he or she is able to get a special plea bargain with the local District Attorney.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.

__________________________________________________________________
Please click "accept" so I can be compensated for my assistance. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How would I go about finding an attorney like this? And any idea of a ball-park figure it would cost? I understand that the bond or bail I'm not sure which or what the difference is, would be around $10,000 which is way over our ability to pay. I think this means he would need to stay in jail until trial? This is so confusing since it is sooo out of character for him, he is typically the type who whould not short change someone a penny. I just hate to see his, mine and our children's lives ruined. I don't know what to do except pray.
To try to find such an attorney, contact local criminal defense firms, or the local bar association for their referrals. Otherwise do a search on www.martindale.com or www.avvo.com, where you can search for attorneys in your area. You are looking at anywhere from 5-8k in fees, depending on how long the trial goes.

I am sorry.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.

_____________________________________________________________________
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If we could not afford to pay the bail/bond would he spend the time in jail? About how long does a trial such as this go on for?: Typically what does a plea bargain do? If a person has never done anything wrong before are they more likely to get a plea bargin? Is it possible to get off with no jail time? It seems that I see in the news all the time how people get off of these types of charges. Does it make it harder to accomplish this since he is not well known (i.e. famous)?
Yes, if you cannot afford the bond, he stays in jail.

Trials like that can go for a few months to a year if the docket is full for sitting judges.

I am sorry, but you are asking me questions out of scope from your original question that was based solely on statute of limitations. I will be happy to continue but kindly compensate me further for my assistance. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry, I am willing to compensate you further. I just didn't know how to do it, that part is not so clear.Please let me know how, should I push accept instead of reply? I want to be able to ask you a couple of more things, if you don't mind.
Yes, if you see an answer that provides you with additional information that is different from your original questions, please press "accept" instead of reply or otherwise I do not get compensated--but please only press "accept" when you get good information since each time you do, you get charged (I do not want you to feel obligated, but kindly do so when warranted).

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, thank you. Please let me know if it worked right this time. Can you help give me an idea of the concept of plea bargining for "normal" folks? To the best of my knowledge he has never done anything wrong before or after the incident he is being charged for. Does a person charged with this type of crime go to prison with armed robbers and murders?
I am sorry, you did not yet "accept" a new answer. Can you try again?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm confused, it shows that I accepted again, then I had to go through the question answering part and at that point it seems I ended up back at the beginning. I had to back up through the pages to get here. Did you recieve a second payment? You should have.Please let me know.
I do have it--thank you again.

Let me go through yoru questions one at a time. Please let me know if I missed any:

typically what does a plea bargain do?
A plea bargain typically allows the person to plead guilty to a lesser charge but for a lesser sentence. For example, lesser felony may have less time in prison, a lesser fine, or possibly no prison time at all but simple probation (so long as the jduge agrees).
If a person has never done anything wrong before are they more likely to get a plea bargin?
Yes. Typically people who have no prior criminal records tend to be offered lea bargains.
Is it possible to get off with no jail time? It seems that I see in the news all the time how people get off of these types of charges.
That depends on the charges and the situation. If your family member runs, that chance becomes lim to non-existant. To make sure, get a consultation with a local attorney.
Does it make it harder to accomplish this since he is not well known (i.e. famous)?
No, but having the right attorney will make a difference.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I know if I get the right attorney? I feel like this is the crucial point since although the charge is (I think) forgery/larceny. Jail could make it a life or death situation for him. Also, do they send someone charged with a crime like this to jail with armed robbers and murders? Are there different types of jail?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry for sounding so dense but did you get my last question?
I just got your question. Let me follow-up.

Getting the right attorney is tough; to know, ask them how long they have practiced (the longer the better), if they handled plea bargains for forgery and larceny cases before, and what is the worst and best case scenario. In addition a specialist should be able to tell you almost without thinking what those crimes have as potential penalties (since you already have that information, you can quiz them and see if they are up to snuff).

There are different types of jails--since this is a white collar crime, most likely this is a medium security installation, so typically no murderers (but that is not assured).

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You have been so helpful. It has made my 2nd sleepless night more bearable. I feel like I am falling apart, but I can't afford to do that for my children's sake. Thank you so much. My final question is where do I look for an attorney such as the one you said I need?
You are most welcome. I am truly happy to hear that I was able to ease your mind a little bit; it is always scary to go forward not knowing what is out there and hopefully with the information today you are able to at least know what questions to ask down the line.

There are four ways you can get an attorney that you need.

1. Local bar associations have lists of attorneys who practice criminal defense. You can contact the association and ask for a referral. Be aware that these attorneys tend to be expensive.

2. Contact Legal Aid. These attorneys if available are low-cost or free, but they may be young.

3. Contact the DA's office--if they are planning on charging your family member with jail time, they must appoint a public defender. He is free but terribly overworked and may not be very experienced.

4. Go to martindale.com or avvo.com and do a search for local attorneys. Contact them and see if they are willing to provide you with a free consultation. Then see if they are any good by the questions you ask (listen to your intuition and it will generally not steer you wrong). Any attorney that "guarantees" that your family member will walk away is automatically a BAD attorney; no attorney can guarantee anything and if he or she does, they are not worth hiring.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.