Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  25 yrs. experience in family law, estates, real estate, business law, criminal defense, immigration, and employment law.
20073497

I went to the DMV and talked to someone, who said it was perfectly

Customer Question

I went to the DMV and talked to someone, who said it was perfectly legal for me to drive in Idaho. I have a Utah License. Later that Day I was pulled over and ticketed for 'Failure to Purchase Driver's License' If I get my license can I get this charge dropped?
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 7 years ago.

What do you mean "if you get your license"? I thought you said you had a valid Utah license.

A valid license of one state is accepted in another state if you are merely passing through. If you plan to live in a particular state, then you would have to get a license for the state of your new residence.

One state cannot charge the citizen of another state for their license.

__________________________________________________________________________

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you.

Leaving positive Feedback, Bonus, etc., are always appreciated.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

ANDREA, JD, LL.M., Taxation

Member, NY & PA Bar

DISCLAIMER: The facts stated herein are information only and are not intended, nor should be construed as legal advice or legal opinion and No Attorney-Client relationship is formed by asking questions and receiving information; laws vary from state to state and to protect your interests, you should seek local counsel

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No my Utah License was not valid, Unfortunately. I had lost it a while ago, and didnt realize it had expired. Right now I have been in Idaho for 3 months or so but planning to move back to Utah in Nov, Dec.

So when the cop stopped me, I was staying with a friend at his apartment, and driving home. Say I get my license renewed in Utah before I go to court, will the charge be dropped? I dont want a misdemenor on my record.

Thank you

Thank you for your information.

I do not think that is going to work because when you present your Utah license, the Judge is going to see the issue date and expiration date and will know that on the day you were stopped, you did not have a valid Utah license. Many people make this same mistake, believing they have a valid license, but they just dd not have time to renew it.

The Courts and Judges have looked at this idea quite differently, they state that a driver has a valid driver's license only if they are in possession of it. It it is still at the

DMV because it was not renewed, then they do not hold a valid driver's license.

I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for, however, I have an obligation to give you correct and accurate answers.

___________________________________________________________________________

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you. That is the only way I can get paid.

The window will not close when you accept my answer and you can ask follow-up questions, if you like

ANDREA, JD, LL.M., Taxation

Member, NY & PA Bar

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay--well can you give me some good advice, at least, something I can do at this point to make things easier and possibly get the charge dropped. Im going to sleep nite

Once you have accepted my answer, I will be glad to answer your follow-up questions

Thank you.

ANDREA, JD, LLM

Member, NY & PA Bar