LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

how can I get out of a wage attachment for a student loan

Customer Question

Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 7 years ago.

Student Loan Debt is one of the only things that is not dischargable in bankruptcy and is virtually impossible to get rid of. You basically have to be SEVERELY disabled or in a coma to get out of it. Even then, they may just put it on hold. But if this garnishment is truly causing a hardship for you, then you will have to have an attorney file a Motion to Quash the garnishment and you can then show the judge what you can afford to pay, etc. This is the only way to go about getting this garnishment reduced unless the lender itself will work something out with you--and that is doubtful. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can try to apply for legal aid in your area. They offer free or very reduced legal assistance for persons who qualify. If you have more questions, I will be happy to answer them. Please accept my answer so I can receive credit for helping you. We can always continue our conversation at no additional charge. Thanks!