legaleagle, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  Attorney-Business degree from The University of Texas

I divorced and husband awarded house, responsible for mortgages

I divorced and husband awarded house, responsible for mortgages and was suppose to refinance in his name. He did nothing, the home is now being forclosed. I moved to another state and purchased another home after the divorce. Now I'm receiving notice to sue, marital home foreclosure notice. Do I need to get a lawyer and respond to notice? I am not, can not save the home but I'm concerned about any legal action and whether it can affect my current home.
Expert:  legaleagle replied 6 years ago.
It can not affect your current home but the lender can sue you for the defaulted loan and if they do they can garnish your wages or try to collect any judgment they get against you. If they do sue you, you can sue your ex for his contempt of court for failing to refi but if he is not paying the mortgage he probably does not have the money to pay you for his contempt.