How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Griffin Law Firm Your Own Question
Griffin Law Firm
Griffin Law Firm, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 51
Experience:  I am an attorney licensed in both CA and WA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Griffin Law Firm is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a DUI back in 2001, and court lost my file and case was

Resolved Question:

I had a DUI back in 2001, and court lost my file and case was never pesented to a judge.

I am a green card and i need to go to differnt country this month and i hard LAX (Airport), they are doing a fingerprint to check background these days.

Is it OK for me to go there? Or clear my case with immigration and go next time?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Griffin Law Firm replied 7 years ago.
My understanding from your question is that you were stopped and cited for a DUI, but because the file was lost, you never had a court appearance, charges were never filed and you were never convicted or sentenced. Is this correct? If you did not get convicted of the DUI, it will not show up on any background check. How did you find out that your file was lost? What contact did you have with the court?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I hired a lawyer back then. And i went to the court and check my criminal report and it didn't show.


However my concern is when i go to different country, would i be come back to US without any problems?

Expert:  Griffin Law Firm replied 7 years ago.
If you checked it that thoroughly, then I would feel confident in the fact you do not have a conviction on your record. They would not be able to proceed with the case at this point without violating your right to a speedy trial. Just being pulled over and cited, but never convicted, will not cause problems for you leaving and entering the country. So long as all your regular paperwork is in order, you will be fine.
Griffin Law Firm and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you