Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

how can i seal a court record for my name change so that it

how can i seal a court record for my name change so that it is not viewable by the public and is permanently sealed?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Unfortunately, your name change is public record, just like all court documents. Unless there is imminent danger to you from someone/something, it will remain so. I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear, I'm sorry.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up info.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button for my answer. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work.

Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if and I would be happy to answer any and all of the follow up questions.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to being the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have another question for you.

in your answer you say:

"Unfortunately, your name change is public record, just like all court documents. Unless there is imminent danger to you from someone/something, it will remain so".

so, my question to you is, what if i am a post-op transsexual and don't want people knowing my old name or that i was once the opposite sex?
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, unless someone ACTIVELY threatened you, that is not cause enough to make the record sealed. :)On a personal note, way to go on doing what you're doing - that couldn't have been an easy choice, but I think it's courageous.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well i have to tell you this, i was "threatened" in the past. i must say, i was either "blessed" or "cursed" with my looks, cuz in my younger years, i did go out and meet guys and needless to say, there was one guy who i "messed around" with. and the cops came up to us and this was my first encounter with the police & was nervous and told them about my whole situation. little did i know that they were going to tell the guy i was "messing around" with.

he was given my full name. he went to my cousin's workplace and was trying to get her to tell him exactly where i lived, telling her he was my cousin & wanted to know where i was. but she knew he wasn't my cousin. i am afraid that after all these years, he may try to look up my name on public records and get my new name and address. would that be enough of a reason for the courts to seal my record??? or would i have to be "threatened" now in the present day???
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Ok, you can TRY. That MIGHT be enough. It's a 50/50 depending on the Judge. First off though, I'd get a temporary/permanent injunction against that guy. Secondly, you do need an attorney (I can help you find one in your area) to do this, since it's going to be a little complicated. You're looking at about $1200...do you need me to help you find an attorney?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you for all your help, but no, there's no way i could afford to pay that much. i really do totally appreciate all your help. the bad thing is that i don't know or remember the guys last name now.

i guess all i can do is try, right??? all the judge can say is "no".

thank you again for all your help. and sorry if i took up alot of your time. but you did at least let me know what to expect.

thank you for the words of encouragement on the "personal note". but this "choice" wasn't really a "decision" that i had to make. this is something that i have always known & everyone around me who knows me, knows that this is who i am & was meant to be born as. sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX "thank you" Smiletitle="Smile"/>

good night..........
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
No you're fine. I just wish I can help you more. At least try. You're in AZ, right? In that case, I'd like to refer you to the AZ Bar's Referral program. The program is free. The attorneys are vetted, qualified, and affordable. If memory serves me right, you also get a free consultation once you are matched up with an attorney from the category that you need (or at least the consultation is very cheap - I know this for a fact). The link to the Bar's referral service is below.http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=AZAt the very least, you can get a free consult and see if they'd do it for less. Perhaps the Judge could be convinced even w/o a concrete last name. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you Laughing
Expert:  Ely replied 5 years ago.
Welcome.