RBinJax
RBinJax, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney for 28 years. Personal injury, Social Security, family, work comp, criminal trial practice.
14308646

My brother and his girlfriend where abducted back in 1988 they

My brother and his girlfriend where abducted back in 1988 they where never found and presumed dead.they where though to be victims of serial killer along with 6 other victims they where dubbed the colonial parkway killer.The case was cold for twenty years.We recently found out that the FBI released eighty crime scene photos to security guard school for training purposes.If this ever went to trial could this effect the outcome of the trial overturn a conviction.If So what rights do we have as victims families
Expert:  RBinJax replied 4 years ago.

I am terribly sorry for your loss, and the pain it still causes you.

The release of the crime scene photos should have no effect on any future prosecution for the person who attacked your brother and his girlfriend. The security guards are not witnesses and are not going to testify at any trial. If they were to be called as jurors, they would be excused due to having personal knowledge of the crime and being unable to be fair and impartial as a result.

While the release of the photos of an unsolved investigation seems less wise than releasing photos from a case that is closed, and also is somewhat insensitive to your feelings, there is no prohibition against it and it should not have any bearing on a trial should one occur. If the FBI could not use actual crime scene photos for training purposes, the training of the officers and guards who use the photos would be less complete and thorough., to the detriment of all.

I hope this answers your questions. Please click Accept so that I may be credited for my assistance. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX my condolences to you and your family.

RBinJax, Attorney
Experience: Attorney for 28 years. Personal injury, Social Security, family, work comp, criminal trial practice.