Legal Eagle, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with experience in many fields

My tenant sighed a lease with me through a realeste broker

My tenant sighed a lease with me through a realeste broker without seeing the place. Then he try to back out of the lease saying my place is not clean, and not fit the code. So, I hired a cleaning crew and fix the electric problem, right after. But he still do not want the place. Should I give him the deposit back. Although I have lost a month of rent because after fixing the problem, he still did not want to move in
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

Thanks for choosing Just Answer.

As the landlord you have the obligation to make the premises livable. After being informed of the problems you have the responsibility to fix them. As long as you fixed them within a reasonable time (varies by state, but is usually 14 days) then the tenant cannot abandon the lease. If you fixed the problems in a reasonable amount of time and made reasonable accommodations, then the lease is still valid, and you can enforce the lease--which could include keeping the deposit, depending on the terms of the lease and what you are out because of the tenant backing out.

I hope this information has been helpful. If you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks and good luck!