Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Hi, Im going through a separation w/ my girlfriend, we have

Hi, I'm going through a separation w/ my girlfriend, we have a 21 month old child. We will soon be appearing in court re: child support. I own two premises (the house we are living in now 2008 & 2009 and a coop that we had lived in 2007) We were originally going to stay in the coop for 2 years, but my girlfiend wanted to instead live in the house so we moved (tail end of 2007). In a panic, I rented the apt to 2 college interns, however at the end of 2008 I claimed the apartment as where we were living.

In reality, during 2008 I was losing approx $900/month at the apt(apt costs = $2,300/month, income was 1,500/month ($750 each intern). BotXXXXX XXXXXne is that I was losing $800/month. Child support will be based on my 2008 earnings, can I amend my 2008 tax statement to change our primary residence at the house (where we truly were), and declare a loss on the apt as a rental?

If yes, how long does that take to become effective? Would it change the child support payments?
Yes, you can amend your tax statement to show the difference for child support calculations. Your accountant would have to send an amended form which should take a month or two to process if it gets expedited. If your income would drop (as it should), then the payments should also decrease for child support.

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.