Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

I have two garnishments coming out of my check right now. One

Customer Question

I have two garnishments coming out of my check right now. One is taking $40 and the other is taking 25%. Are they allowed to do two garnishments at once and the one that is taking 25% i only agreed to pay $20/two weeks. Are they still allowed to take the 25%?
Expert:  Ray replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your question.

The Consumer Credit Protection Act puts a federal limit on the amount your wages can be garnished.

The maximum amount that can be garnished from your paycheck is the lower of the following:

• 25% of your disposable income* if it’s greater than $262 ($290 after July 24, 2009).
  • Any amount greater than 30 times the federal minimum wage: $196.50 ($217.50 after July 24, 2009).

These limits don't apply to garnishments for unpaid tax debts, bankruptcy court orders, child or spousal support, or voluntary wage assignments.

For child and spousal support payments, up to 50% can be garnished if you have another child or spouse to support. Otherwise, you could be garnished up to 60%. If you have to pay more than 12 weeks of back payments, you could be garnished an additional 5%.

Federal agencies can garnish up to 15% and the Department of Education can garnish 10%.

Also check for your state laws here they may supercede federal law..