socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

can drug treatment courts in pa dictate weather a person in

Customer Question

can drug treatment courts in pa dictate weather a person in their program can get married or not.?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Under the landmark U.S. Supreme Court Case of Zablocki v. Redhail, 434 U.S. 374 (1978), the right to marry is fundamental, and any regulation that impairs that right is entitled to "critical examination" by the court.

Since a drug treatment court operates to defer the putative defendant from criminal prosecution, it is conceivable that the court could offer you a "Hobsen's Choice" of: If you get married during the rehab process, we will send your case to the DA for prosecution. Nevertheless, I think that the ACLU might be quite interested in this particular outcome, because it almost certainly would violate your fundamental right to marry.

That said, your atorney is certainly right that the court could make your marriage quite difficult to accomplish -- especially, as you would be forcefd to start a long appeal process which could indeed end up in the High Court. But, if you really want to fight about it, you can, and there is a very important legal precedent that would support your right to marry.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.