Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Is manipulation a crime If so can pain and suffering be award

Customer Question

Is manipulation a crime? If so can pain and suffering be award from it along with property damage?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Could you define "manipulation"--what do you mean by that term?

Could you tell me more about what occurred?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello:

Two years ago I assisted a friend with saving her home upon her request. Throughout the two years she paid on time but she deceive me in thinking after she got her credit repaired she will purchase her home back. After our friendship fell apart she started to lie about a lot of other things. I placed the home on the market and she refuse to let it be shown upon request as asked. She complained about a lock box going on the door. After she surrendered her keys, she broke back into the house and cause me a cliam on my property and she failed to pay the remaining of her taxes owed on the property. I am in the process of typing a letter to the courts for a civil case and I would like to know if it is best to start the sentence with --" I am a victim of a manipulator" . Please advise if I am headed in the right directions. I would like to sue for pain and suffering along with property damages and balance owed on property.

How did you "assist" the friend, exactly? Did you purchase the home? Alone or with her as co-owners?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

MY HUSBAND AND I PURCHASED THE HOME IN OUR NAME FOR HER AND ALLOWED HER TO LIVE THERE FOR TWO YEARS UNTIL SHE REPAIRED HER CREDIT.

So your friend never owned the property, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES SHE OWNED IT FOR ONE YEAR. SHE WAS RECEIVING PAYMENT FROM HER CHILDS FATHER AND SPENDING THE MONEY ON HERSELF. SHE MIS MANAGEMENT HER FUNDS AND WAS FORCED TO DO BANK RUPTCY OR SELL. SO SHE CAME TO US AND ASK IF WE WILL PURCHASE THE HOUSE FOR HER UNTIL SHE GET EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL AND SHE WILL PURCHASE IT BACK--NEEDLESS TO SAY THAT DID NOT HAPPEN.
And now you are stuck with her property, which she is refusing to re-buy from you. In other words you purchased her property on a promise to re-purchase. Do you have that as a contract, written down somewhere? And the property is in Maryland, correct?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES --I PLACED IT IN THE CONTRACT - HOWEVER IT STATES A FAVOR FOR A FRIEND. I WAS TRYING TO COVER MYSELF JUST IN CASE SHE DID NOT PURCHASE IT BACK AND I ALSO PLACED IN THE CONTRACT THAT IT WILL GO ON THE MARKET. SO I WAS CONFUSED IF I JAMED MYSELF ---AND AFTER THE CONTRACT WAS SIGNED THAT IS WHEN THE RELATIONSHIP IMMEDIATELY WENT BAD. AFTER WE SIGNED THE SETTLEMENT PAPERS ---THEN WE DISCUSS THE TERMS OF THE LEASE. WHICH WE SHOULD HAVE DONE FIRST. THEY WANTED 50% OF THE EQUITY IF SOLD--THEY PROMISED TO TRY AND PURCHASE BACK AND OR HAVE SOMEONE ELSE PURCHASE IT BACK. I CLEARLY STATED THAT I WANTED THIS HOUSE OUT OF MY NAME WITHIN TWO YEARS.
It is very good that you have at least something in writing. That actually makes it easier to prove that a contract existed, even if some terms may be a bit unclear. Did you purchase the property as market value or at a lower value?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MARKET VALUE AT 370. NOW I HAVE IT ON THE MARKET AT SHORT SALE FOR 250---AND I HAVE MISSED THIS MONTH PAYMENT--WHICH NOW IT HAS AFFECTED MY CREDIT.
Thank you for all of the additional information. First of all, "manipulation" as a crime does not exist. You may consider the charge of "false pretenses", but you would have to try to prove that when you signed 2 years ago, the other party already knew that they would breach the contract.

Your better bet is to sue for breach of contract, and demand that the judge compel the other party to purchase the property as agreed. You will most likely not be able to demand "intentional infliction of emotional distress" because it is unlikely (from the court's perspective) that the person knew enough to specifically mentally hurt you--they just intentionally breached their contract.

you can also charge the friend with burglary and trespass, if you can prove that it was the friend that did it. Each of those a criminal charge, and burglary can be either a felony or a misdemeanor. You can also try to collect damages for trespass in a civil court as well.

I am truly sorry to hear that this occurred to you. I really wish you the best of luck.

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I greatly appreciate your expertise! I am happy to know that I found a service that actually was able to assist me and I did not get my money taken away from me again.:) Your promptness and sincerty is defintely admired! Thank you Mr. Kaplun.

You are most welcome. I truly wish I can give you better news in some of your questions, but I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the best of luck. If you need me again, when you ask your question, put my name in the title so I personally will be able to assist you. Good luck to you!

Sincerely,

Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.